SUBMIT QUILTS TO OUR
MEMBER QUILT SHOWCASE!
Our September meeting was all about Telling Your Stash Story and Making Your Quilts Sparkle.
But first, some announcements:
- Our PMQG Business Sponsor Fabric Depot is having their semi-annual warehouse sale the weekend of October 20-22, and PMQG members have early bird access on Friday, October 20th. A VIP Pass, to get in at 8 am on Friday, was included in the recap email.
- Fabric Depot is having a Stash Swap event on Saturday, October 28th from 10 to 2. You can buy, sell or trade your stash. If you have fabric to sell, tables are $10 and can be shared.
- Fabric Depot is bringing Latifah Saafir back to Portland to teach her Glam Clam Quilt on Saturday, December 9th. If you missed taking a class with Latifah when she came to PMQG in June, here's your second chance. You can sign up here.
The Modern Quilt Guild
- The Modern Quilt Guild is holding its second international mini swap. They are looking for swap fairies now, and participant sign ups open on October 1st. The swaps will happen at 2018 QuiltCon if you’re going, or by mail in February if you’re not.
- The MQG is conducting a member content survey. What do you want from your MQG membership? Take the survey here.
- The MQG's 2016 Annual Report is now available for download.
- The deadline to submit quilts to 2018 QuiltCon is November 30th.
PMQG members will be voting electronically in October on three matters:
- Election of 2018 Officers
- Adoption of Amended Bylaws
- Should PMQG remain part of the Modern Quilt Guild?
Four people have stepped forward to serve as officers in 2018, so we just need three more! Check out the Recruitment Page on our website to read about being next year's:
- Vice President of Membership and Procurement or
- Programs Coordinator for Workshops
If you don't feel like you can make the commitment to be an officer (it's fun, though!), how about being a Volunteer Coordinator? Read all about the available positions here.
Look for an email from the Guild on October 6th, which will contain your electronic ballot and voting information, including the proposed Amended Bylaws and a fact sheet on MQG membership.
- The Westside Quilters Guild’s 2017 Quilt Show is October 7th and 8th in Hillsboro. The featured quilters are PMQG's own Violet Craft and AnnMarie Cowley.
- The PMQG is hosting our First Annual Member Quilt Showcase on Thursday, October 19th from 7 to 9 pm at the Lagunitas Community Room. This event will take the place of our October meeting and is a PMQG member-only event. We'll eat, we'll drink, we'll socialize, we'll admire our members' work. The winners of the Bountiful Mini Quilt Challenge will be announced. We'll also introduce you to your 2018 Officers. There will be a trick or treat orphan block swap, so bring your orphan blocks. And we'll have many beautiful door prizes to give away. You have until September 28th at midnight to submit up to three quilts for consideration.
PLEASE NOTE that our December meeting is earlier than usual. It's on the first Thursday of December - December 7th.
- For this year’s Holiday Swap, the theme is Containers: any thing that holds other things. It can be a bag, a box, a wallet, a journal cover, etc. You don’t need to sign up or supply fabric in order to participate. All you have to do is make a container of your choice and bring it to our December meeting. We'll assign each item a number and then put a tag with that number on a tree. At the break, everyone who brought an item will take a number. The swap items will then be passed out by a Santa-like figure. No pressure, no stress. Just make one, take one.
Quilts We're Making
- The pattern and instructions for the final block in our 9-block Block of the Month series have been posted to the website. We love seeing your blocks in person and on social media! Please continue posting your blocks and quilt tops on Instagram under the hashtag #pmqg2017BOM.
We'll have a grand show and tell of completed BOM tops and quilts at our December meeting. There might be a prize involved, so keep working on those BOMs!
- Meredith Hobbs gave a presentation about quilting words into quilts - a good tool to use in our Word Quilt Challenge quilts.
- Our current charity projects are quilts for Legacy Hospice and for the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Doernbecher Children's Hospital. We're also making large zipper bags filled with full-size toiletries for Embrace Oregon. Come make quilts with us at September Charity Sew Day on Thursday, September 28th from 10 to 4 at Modern Domestic. Just bring yourself, and come for as little or as long as you like.
Author and pattern and fabric designer Sandra Clemons spoke to us about how she uses color in her quilts and showed us all of the quilts from her first book, Scrap Patchwork: Traditionally Modern Quilts. A visual recap of Sandra's lecture can be found here.
We had three fantastic raffle prizes:
- Emilie Kahn won the Joyce Dean Gieszler with a Touch of Elizabeth Hartman Bundle, with donations from Joyce Dean Gieszler, Elizabeth Hartman, and Quilters Dream.
- The Violet Craft + Kona Bundle, with items donated by Violet Craft, Stash Fabrics, Tuva Publishing, Sunflower Quilts, and Quilters Dream was won by Cath Hall.
- Sarah LeCain was the winner of the Quilting From Every Angle Bundle with prizes donated by Hoffman California Fabrics, Northcott Fabrics, June Tailor, and Quilters Dream.