• September 22–24, NW Quilting Expo, Portland Expo Center
• September 30–October 2, Quiltopia, Willamette Heritage Center, Salem, OR
• October 6, Marie's Show Room of Quilts, sabbatical project, BedMart 1039 NW Glisan Pearl District
• October 8–9, Santiam Scrappers Quilt Guild Show, Sandridge Charter School, Lenanon, OR
• October 8–9, Biennial Quilt Show, Tuality Hospital, Hillsboro, OR
• October 14–15, Old Aurora Colony Museum Annual Show, Aurora, OR
• October 22, All-day Sew, Fabric Depot
• January 27–28, Stitches in Bloom Quilt Show, Oregon Garden
• Pendelton Woolen Mill Store Sale, fabric, yarn and more
PRESENTATION Studio Art Quilts Associates by Kathy Blondell
Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc is a membership organization with over 2,800 members in 31 countries. Its mission is to promote the art quilt through exhibitions, publications and education. SAQA defines an art quilt as the contemporary artwork exploring and expressing aesthetic concerns common to the whole range of visual arts: painting, printmaking, photography, graphic design, assemblage and sculpture, which retains, though materials or technique, a clear relationship to the folk art quilt from which it descends.
Kathy shared a slide show of the currently traveling truck show of 50 8"x8" art pieces (six shown above). The pieces possessed a range of media: zippers, plant dye, lace, paper, photos, hand sewing, color pencil, netting, printed fabric, wool, beads, applique, french knots, tinted fabric, rusted fabric, composted fabric, natural dye, gauze, raw edges, machine quilting, satin stitching, net overlay, etc. Imaginative, beautiful, inspiring!
Next up Kathy brought her personal collection of larger art quilts:
"If there is an element you really like exaggerate it." –kathy
Ale brought everyone a block sandwich, thread and a needle to practice the basic running stitch technique. Her tool preferences include Crewel needles, Dritz leather & plastic thimble and Thread Heaven conditioner and protectant. If you missed Ale's live tutorial here's an online seven part video tutorial. Above quilt has been in Ale's family for generations—entirely hand quilted!
SHOW AND TELL
Maurice, english paper piecing (first time!)
Cheran, April Showers, "Felt moved to make something happy and orange. The floral and the grey pindots make me think of Spring."
rounded up 12x12 blocks for habitat quilt