Word Quilt Challenge
Join us for the 2017 year long quilt challenge, Word Quilts. Each quilter will choose their word, words or phrase -- motto, mantra, song lyrics, scripture, political statement -- and design a unique piece to reflect their own sensibilities. Bold and stark, improvisational, with the addition of quilt blocks -- the list goes on and on!
We'll introduce a new topic or technique monthly at guild meetings (like paper piecing, appliqué and quarter circles) with demos scheduled at the subsequent Fabric Depot Sew Days if you'd like to try the technique or discuss and show off your progress.
Word Quilts will be PMQG's theme for our Special Exhibit at the 2018 Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. We encourage everyone to participate!
Size requirements for our Special Exhibit at the 2018 Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show: no smaller than 40 inches and no larger than 80 inches on any side.
Follow along all year and post to social media with #PMQGspeaks2017
Below is a list of both free and for purchase fonts and alphabets.
(Please tag any resources used in social media. Spread the love!)
- Spell It with Moda (basic piecing) #spellitwithmoda
- Easy as ABC from Blossom Heart Quilts (basic piecing)
- Best Day Ever: Free Alphabet Character Block Patterns from McCalls Quilting, Adapted from a Quilt Designed by Kathryn Simel (basic piecing)
- The Quilter Community Alphabet (foundation paper piecing)
PDF and Printed Alphabet Patterns Available for Purchase
- Denyse Schmidt's The Proverbial Quilt (print) (pdf)
- Tula Pink's Modern Alphabet (pdf only)
- Sam Hunter's Quilt Talk
- Elizabeth Hartman's Refrigerator Magnets
- Diane Bohn's (From Blank Pages) My First Alphabet and My ABC's
- QuietPlay's extensive alphabet options
- Geometric Alphabet--uppercase
- Geometric Alphabet--lowercase
- Just My Type Typewriter Letters--uppercase
- Just My Type Typewriter Letters--lowercase
- Just My Type Typewriter Numbers and Punctuation
- Cursive Script Lowercase Alphabet Paper Pieced Alphabet
Techniques, Tutorials, and Inspiration
- Improv Quarter Circle Tutorial by Yvonne at quiltingjetgirl
- Machine Applique Basics with Elizabeth Hartman and Make:
- Creative Quilt Backs with Elizabeth Hartman and Craftsy (free), helpful for filling space around your letters or phrase