On January 18th, we met for our first meeting of 2018. The new board would like to thank everyone for their patience, due to the wait for membership sign ups and picking up membership cards.
It was the first meeting for the new board and a final good-bye and thank you to our 2017 board.
Goals for 2018 were announced, and they include:
- Art of Quilting, supporting this via speakers, inspiration, trunk shows, retreats and conferences
- Learning to Quilt, supporting this via workshops, techniques, sew days, sharing/collaboration, webinars
- Giving back through Quilting, supporting this via charity programs, charity sew days
- Growing our Guild - goal of 400 active members.
Next, we had a lecture and trunk show with Christina Cameli. She featured the quilts from her new book Wedge Quilt Workshop. During the lecture, Christina gave tips for using both the 9 degree and 10 degree wedge rulers. We thoroughly enjoyed Christina’s talk and walked away with a ton of inspiration! Just check out this gallery of the quilts she presented!
Christina Cameli is teaching two classes at Modern Domestic and there is a 10% discount for 2018 PMQG members! Join her for Free Motion Weekend, January 27 and 28 and Grid-based Free-Motion Quilting, February 16. If you’re interested in taking these classes you can find more information on their website.
PMQG is looking to host some workshops with Christina in April. Stay tuned for more information!
Next, we held our Raffle. Winners included:
- Fat Quarter Bundle donated by Cloud Nine Fabrics was won by Betty Colburn
- Indah Pops Jelly Roll Bundle donated by Hoffman Fabrics was won by Julie Walters
- Pretty Little Patchwork book was donated by Tuva Publishing was won by Anne Matlak
- Wedge Quilt Workshop, donated by Christina Cameli was won by Miranda Gargiulo
Thank you to all of our generous sponsors of door prizes!
- The first quarter quilt charity is Camp Erin. Camp Erin is the largest national bereavement program for youth grieving the death of a significant person in their lives. Minimum size is 50 x 60 inches. Delivery will be in June.
- The ongoing quilt charity is for Doernbecher PICU. Any size is appreciated for children ranging from babies to teenagers
- Charity Sew Dates are listed on the PMQG website under Events.
- The theme is “Words, Unbound” minimum size is 40 inches across, 80 inches max.
- No profanity as the quilt show is family friendly.
- Cannot have been shown before at the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show
- The photos of your quilt are due to the PMQG by February 6th. See the website for more information.
The 2018 Block of the Month
We introduced the Bespoke BOM, a year of piecing plaids and checks! The first block was debuted, the Buffalo Plaid. Share your makes, tips, tricks, and variations on IG and tag #PMQG2018BOM Instructions have been posted to the website.
Will continue on the 4th Sunday of each month, with the next meeting on January 28th. Westside location has changed to Jim & Patty’s Coffee People at 4130 SW 117th in Beaverton.
Happening April 12-15th at Camp Tilikum in Newberg Oregon. Registration Opens February 10th, 2018 at 10 am. There will be a waitlist if the retreat fills up. Watch the website and social media for more information about the retreat.
Going to QuiltCon?
The PMQG is looking for a member who is going to QuiltCon who would be willing to serve as a roving reporter and post images to the guild Instagram account. If you’re interested in helping the guild out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a quilt that was accepted into QuiltCon please email the guild with a photo, your name, and your phone number. Virgina is putting a press release together for local media and would love to include you! Send it to email@example.com
As always, we had a beautiful and inspiring group of Show and Tell Quilts. They can also be seen here or on Flickr. No login or password is needed.
Important Upcoming Dates:
January 25th - Charity Sew Day at Modern Domestic
January 28th - Hand Sew Happy Hour
February 3rd - Fabric Depot Sew Day
February 6th - Deadline for Sisters Quilt Exhibit
February 10th - Spring Retreat signups open.